Thursday, March 11, 2010

Week 11: Final Project Focus

This week we'll be focusing on finishing our final projects. Be sure to go through your list and capture any elusive drawing requirements such as shadow relief, conte, and charcoal. Below are some samples from my own portfolio. I use a digital camera to get the drawings into the computer and then manipulate them in photoshop.

It's best to work with one image a time; I usually use adjustment layers such as Curves and Levels to correct the image so I have a good tonal range. Then I use Dodge and Burn tools if I have uneven areas of light and dark to try and unify the entire drawing. It's also a good opportunity to digitally erase those minor flaws and marks. Once everything looks good, I flatten all the layers, and bring it into a template document where I'll arrange all the drawings on one page.

I'll use a Layer Mask to create a soft edge around the drawing and allow them to be place more closely together. For shorter poses, it's quite acceptable to put quite a few drawings per page, but for longer studies, it's good to keep the drawings a fairly nice size so the viewer can get a good look at them.

BE SURE TO LABEL DRAWINGS!!! Not each one, but just so that I can check that you've fulfilled the requirements. So labeling your conte drawing, for example, is important because it's hard to tell them apart from charcoal drawings. Also labeling longer poses so I know which one was 20 min, versus 45 or 60 min. GOOD LUCK!






No comments:

Post a Comment